To earn a human living
what man’s not doing –
some toil from dawn to dusk
some enjoy at others’ cost,
some know not what luxury is!
some know not what misery is!
I
see a peasant toils and toils and toils
ah! for the landlord
who shares three quarters of harvest,
he, the sharer of a quarter
glides towards poverty,
his children: half-fed half-clad.
I
see the brick workers
who work for the miller, and
smear themselves with mud and coal
amidst terrible heat of the chimneys,
ah! for a low wage;
their families left in Bihar or Odisha –
who knows
are they living or dead of hunger?
I
observe
an old skeleton passes by
stooping over a limping staff,
his eager hands
fumble with a coin of charity.
I see
a half-clad Riang woman
crawls on a hillock
with a heavy skuttle on her back —
bundles of bamboo blossoms peeled,
she carries on
for a few unaccommodating rupees.
I
see
a fisherman
rots in the river Barak –
his net patiently drawn each time
with a hope of a few big fishes!
until late afternoon
a few prawns and small hilsas
bring a dry smile on his wrinkled face.
I
observe
how a rickshaw-puller
inches towards premature death,
from morn to night
he pulls and pulls and pulls,
his young daughter needs to be married,
three school-going kids
and a suckling,
a large family indeed –
had he thought earlier to keep it small
he weeps now but in vain.
I
see
thousands of people around me –
neglected, downtrodden, underdogs!
but who’ll come?
for their uplifting –
to put a smile on their lips;
they too have a right to be here
to have a human living!
1 comment:
In this poem, the author has tried to draw a pen-picture of the pathetic condition of the poor and marginalized subalterns in the society living subhuman lives. Let us come forward to uplift them socially and economically so that they too can have a human living.
Post a Comment